Box trucking companies use box trucks that offer delivery and moving services, also called box vans...
Why New Trucking Companies Need More Than a Load Board
The trucking industry is a vital component of the global economy, with the transportation of goods essential to the smooth operation of businesses across various sectors. There are plenty of resources to find loads, and more often than not, trucking startups turn to load boards. However, load boards are only one tool, and they can be hard to navigate. Plus, there are dozens, if not hundreds of load boards, and no one has the time to realistically check them all.
Both trucking companies and startups alike need something that’s better than load boards; they need a way to connect the dots and find leads without spending countless hours in a digital rabbit hole. Let’s take a look at the limits of relying solely on load boards, the benefits of building an online presence, and the advantages of a professional website for finding more business.
Limitations of Relying Solely on Load Boards as Owner Operators
Load boards have become an increasingly popular tool for trucking startup companies to find available loads and clients. However, relying solely on load boards can also have limitations for trucking businesses due to a few reasons:
- There is high competition among carriers in load boards. The increased competition can make it challenging for trucking companies to secure profitable loads, leading to bidding wars that can negatively impact trucking startup profit margins.
- Established trucking companies with a good reputation have the advantage, whereas newer companies may need help to secure profitable loads. This limited visibility can make it challenging for new trucking companies to grow their businesses.
- Trucking companies may have to lower their rates to win bids, reducing profit margins. Moreover, the bidding process can be time-consuming, especially when bidding on multiple loads, which can lower the efficiency and profits of trucking companies and startups.
Clearly, there is an unmet need with trucking load boards. If the load boards take up too much time, drivers may run the risk of “running empty.” That’s simply unacceptable. Instead, the best strategy to ensure consistent freight is to have a diverse pool of resources to pull from.. In other words, trucking startup companies need more than a random availability listing on a load board. Today’s trucking startups need a real online presence.
Benefits of a Strong Online Presence in the Trucking Industry
Trucking companies and startups must have a solid online presence, whether a limited liability company (LLC) or any other business structure. There are several benefits to trucking companies who prioritize their online presence and brand management:
- Increasing brand visibility and credibility making it easier for trucking company startups to reach a wider audience and build their brand.
- Defining a unique selling proposition to reach the right people that need your services.
- Sharing company values and mission statement to go beyond the basic services offered by other trucking startups.
- Improving customer engagement and support to repeat the process and get more potential leads.
Trucking business startups must be mindful of their presence, how they interact with clients, and how they present themselves in this technology-driven market.
Advantages of Having a Website for Your Trucking Startup
Even with an online presence, it doesn’t necessarily rise to the level of a true website. Anyone could create a well-established presence on social media, but if you create an actual website, you can realize a few other core benefits, including:
- Professional branding. A professional brand profile and image are essential for transportation and shipping service providers to stand out in a competitive marketplace.
- A Place to Collect Leads. Every site visitor and connection made through your website becomes a prospect, and if built correctly, you can turn your lead generation on autopilot.
- Collecting Trucking Company Startup Reviews and Testimonials. An online presence can allow trucking and transportation carriers to collect reviews and testimonials from their satisfied customers, showing their expertise and value.
Complementary Strategies to Boost Trucking Business
Building an online presence is only part of the battle. There are a few complementary strategies can help businesses boost their growth and expand their customer base, including:
- Participate in networking opportunities and collaborative events to meet potential clients and partners, learn about industry trends, and stay up-to-date on the latest technologies and practices.
- Form partnerships and alliances with other businesses in the same or related industries can help trucking business startups leverage each other's strengths and resources.
Both of the above also apply to the digital world too, so get started on your LinkedIn profile posts while you’re at it!
Make Your Trucking Startup Successful by Claiming Your CarrierSource Profile Now
New trucking companies must establish relationships with shippers and brokers outside load boards to boost profitability. New trucking startups must also leverage their unique strengths, such as specialized equipment or experience in a particular niche, to differentiate themselves and secure more lucrative contracts. That’s a tall order, but it’s far from impossible, especially if you have the right partners in your corner.
Connect with CarrierSource today to learn why trucking startup companies need to move on from traditional load boards and take advantage of the potential benefits available when you start a trucking company in today’s market.